Establish a climate change coordination committee
Background and description
Climate change affects ecosystems and community health and well-being as well as the commercial potential of the St. Lawrence River. A project aimed at addressing climate change impacts was undertaken in collaboration with Ouranos, a consortium on regional climatology and climate change adaptation. The goal of the project is to identify the main issues and the research and development needs related to climate change impacts, the vulnerability of uses and ecosystems, and adaptation tools and options. The working group has been tasked with establishing a climate change coordination committee to promote knowledge sharing concerning climate change, which could affect the health and uses of the St. Lawrence in many ways.
A state of knowledge report on climate change adaptation for the St. Lawrence has been prepared. It provides a better understanding of the issues and will help guide decision making by the preliminary coordination committee regarding actions to be taken.
The foundation for the climate change adaptation committee has been established, and it will begin its activities during the 2016–2021 phase of SLAP. It will bring together the different stakeholders concerned, from both government and civil society, and will help to increase knowledge sharing and, ultimately, the effectiveness of interventions in this area.
Government of Canada
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Transport Canada
Government of Quebec
- Ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation du Québec
- Ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques
- Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs
- Ministère des Transports, de la Mobilité durable et de l’Électrification des transports